A CHANGE IN THE PALACE
At the beginning of the 20th century, Mannheim Baroque Palace had long since ceased to be a residence and seat of government. In 1778, Carl Theodor, then still a count palatine and prince-elector of the Palatinate left Mannheim and moved to Munich due to his inheritance of the Bavarian Electorate. In 1802, the residence of the Electoral Palatinate became the property of the House of Baden. As the dower house of Stéphanie von Baden, the palace had a noble inhabitant in the bel étage one last time. After the death of the grand duchess, the palace changed completely and became the headquarters of many officials. Not only the Commission for Navigation on the Rhine, but also the High Court of Baden and the regional and local court were housed here.