The Baroque gardens
Prince-Elector Carl Philipp was the first to arrange a garden between the palace and the fortification wall in the French style. In 1730, 400 elms and 400 yew trees were purchased in the Netherlands and brought to the prince-elector's residence by ship along the Rhine. Under Carl Theodor, flowerbeds and areas of lawn were added to the simple groves of trees. The prince-elector spent great sums on tulips and hyacinths in the Netherlands and had footpaths and fountains landscaped.